Monday, February 24, 2014

Yummy Carrot Tofu Muffins

My mom knows I've been experimenting with protein "cupcakes" this past year or so, so when she stumbled on a tofu carrot muffin recipes at my grandma's she sent it on!  It originally was from the American Institute for Cancer Research.

CARROT CUPCAKES
2 eggs
1 cup honey
1/2 cup vegetable oil
8 oz. fresh curd tofu, drained
2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp vanilla
2 tsp lemon juice
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup finely shredded carrots
1/2 cup chopped raisins

In a blender container or a food processor bowl, combine the eggs, honey, oil, tofu, baking soda, cinnamon, vanilla and lemon juice. Cover and blend until smooth. Pour mixture into a large mixing bowl. Beat in the flour and carrots. Stir in the raisins. Line 2-1/2 inch muffin pans with paper baking cups. Fill 2/3 full with mixture. Bake in a 375 degree oven for 20 minutes. Each of the 24 cupcakes contains 153 calories and 6 grams fat.

I decided to try the carrots in the food processor before adding the tofu instead of grating - it worked excellent!  I replaced 1/2 cup of the wheat flour with oat flour.  It was mainly because I ran out of wheat flour didn't want to grind more, but it also adds a little nutrient variety and I like the flavor of oats.  I added more cinnamon and I still think it needed a little more spice.  When I make it again I will probably add 1 Tbs cinnamon and a 1 tsp of nutmeg.  I also might try adding a little molasses.

Chiquita approved, she ate two muffins the day we made them and happily ate them for breakfast while they lasted.

No comments:

Post a Comment