Sunday, February 2, 2014

High Protein PB&J Cupcakes

Here comes another bean cupcake recipe!  I wanted to make red velvet (hopefully soon to come) but I was out of kidney beans.  After the success of the high protein pumpkin muffins with peanut butter I thought peanut butter would be a great high protein treat and what goes better with pb than jam?



Ingredients:
1 can garbanzo beans, drained, rinsed
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
2 eggs
1 cup sugar
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder

Just dump everything in a food processor (or blender), I used my Ninja and blend well.  Fill the muffin liners mostly full with batter and add a dollop of jam to each and then add a little more batter to cover the jam.  You can see in the bottom photo that I should have put a little more batter in before adding the jam.  

Bake at 375 degrees for about 15 minutes (I'm high altitude so make sure you check after 10 minutes).  Makes about 15 cupcakes

I added jam to a recipe of cream cheese frosting to top it off.  It was a little runny but great for just a touch of extra sweetness and jam!  They were moist and delicious (Chiquita ate two in one day), plus extra healthy.  175 calories, 8 grams of fat, almost 7 grams of protein, 2 grams of fiber and 6% RDA of iron a piece.  Not too shabby.

2 comments:

  1. Absolutely love these ideas for hiding beans in cakes ... must must try. Thanks so much for sharing at #EmptyYourArchive - I have pinned and tweeted, Alice @ Mums Make Lists

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I hope you make them, I promise they really are good!

      Delete