Friday, March 22, 2013

H is for Helado (Ice Cream)



The surest way to get myself to do another learning activity is to say I'm not going to.  That means we did another letra H activity!  See all the other Spanish/English alphabet crafts we've done!
This one is not bilingual, but it did give us a chance to talk about the silent H.  I am constantly amazed at what my Chiquita is able to absorb at her age.  Not necessarily retain, but she does learn!  I asked her what letter helado started with and she said E.  I was surprised she even knew enough to get the "right" wrong answer :)



I made "ice cream scoops" from different colors of ice cream, wrote the letter H on them (just for good measure) and cut out brown paper cones.  I laid out the cones and ice cream and we talked about what color/flavor each one is.

For the game I removed all the helados and pointed to one cone and told her what flavor/color I wanted.  For example, "Yo quiere el helado blanco.  Es sabor de vanilla."

She was very good a picking the right one (one wrong pick in 3 rounds), but had a much harder time when I reversed it and pointed to the ice cream and asked her what color or flavor it was.  She could answer me correctly in English but would say any random things in Spanish.  Obviously comprehension is better than verbal.

It was fun!  Maybe I'll make it into a laminated game.

Check out my first ever giveaway here!

No comments:

Post a Comment