Friday, March 8, 2013

F es de Fruta (Juice Pop Recipe)

You know that you're really doing crafts when you get excited about packaging paper.  I hadn't seen this sort of packaging material before, like a long strip of paper bag with perforations every 6 inches or so to make it easy to tear anywhere along the way.  Like any good mama/crafter/recycler I smoothed it out, folded it up and put it in our craft cupboard.

I got it out today for another letter F craft, F es de Fruta (Fruit). I had trouble thinking of a craft for this that would incorporate the letter itself so we just decorated a letter F.


It was great to look through magazines with Chiquita and talk about the names of all the fruits in Spanish.  This is one set of vocabulary that she is really good at since she LOVES fruit.  I cut out the pictures but Chiquita did all the pasting and I let her trim around the word a little to practice her scissor skills.

See all the other Spanish/English alphabet crafts we've done!

Coincidentally Chiquita is currently (as I am typing this) on her 3rd homemade juice pop of the day, made entirely of fruit.  I've been making "super juice" as we like to call it, for the last year, but today's recipe was a little special since Chiquita hasn't been getting enough fat in her diet.

Ingredients:
1 ripe avocado
1 ripe banana
1 cup berries (raw or frozen)
1-2 cups orange juice
1 tsp cinnamon (I was surprised when I learned how much iron is in cinnamon, I've been adding it to everything)
drop of honey (optional)

Blend well.  Should be fairly thick.  Put in popsicle molds, or in recycled yogurt containers with a spoon stuck in for a handle.  Freeze!

Makes 12 popsicles.  Each popsicle has: 58 calories, 2 grams fat, 1 gram protein, and only 5 grams of sugar.  Since Chiquita has been on a protein strike (no meat, beans, cheese and hardly any nut butter) for the last 6 months then I'm looking for more ways to get fat and protein in her diet without tons of sugar that come with those flavored milks (which she hardly drinks either) or junk food.

I recommend running the mold in a little hot water to get the popsicle out.  It doesn't have to be hot outside, Chiquita loves these all the time. 

5 comments:

  1. This looks really good! I so need to make some for my picky eater!!

    Thanks for sharing at Sharing Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lovely craft & a yummy juice pop! How I wish I had that problem, ie not enough fat in my diet!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds fun and those popsicles sound yummy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds yummy! I pinned it so I would remember to try it!

    Thanks for sharing with us at Eco-Kids Tuesday! Hope you join us again today! http://likemamalikedaughter.blogspot.com/2013/03/flip-trainer-review-at-eco-kids-tuesday.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmm! I would have never thought of adding avocado. What a great way to get in some healthy fats!

    ReplyDelete