Friday, January 11, 2013

Making our own picture book

I have been reading the ABCs of Storytelling series of posts by A Mom With A Lesson Plan and Chiquita is getting ready for some story telling activites as she likes to "read" me books sometimes (no actually reading involved :)).  I'd also seen a fun post by Hey Mommy, Chocolate Milk about making your own picture book that I really wanted to try a version of.  I know there was another inspiration for this activity but I can't find it now (leave me a comment if it was you!).

I have made her some blank books before from scrap paper so I figured we'd give making our own book a try.  I got out some old magazines and started flipping through them with Chiquita asking her what pictures she wanted for her book. 

The first one she pointed out was a sleeping baby.  She started the cutting (I finished it) and we glued it into her book.  A few repeats (most of the cutting done by me, she likes cutting but flags fast) and we had a book!

 It was a little difficult to keep her on track with the book as each picture prompted her to go and get a related toy (a bunny for the baby with a bunny, a baby bottle, etc.). 

I had to remember that this identifying with the pictures was an activity all in itself.  We tried reading through the book, having her tell me a little about each picture but she was pretty much done by then.

We will revisit this activity later to try writing some things down.  I cut out the letters of her name and pasted them on the front page so we could practice name recognition again!

We will definitely be trying other storytelling activities soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment