Saturday, September 1, 2012

Homemade Star Crackers

I saw a blog post with homemade crackers the other day.  I had never even thought about making crackers!  I searched a bunch of different recipes & made my own recipe based on several.

I want to do a few more trial & change the recipe up, but it turned out pretty well for a first time.  Both hubby & Chiquitita liked them so that's a high recommendation

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.

Mix:
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 cup parmesan cheese

Add:
2 or 3 Tbsp olive oil
5 Tbsp V-8 (or tomato) juice

I used a reduced fat parmesan so I needed more oil, but I think if you use regular parmesan you only need 2 Tbsp.  Knead it by hand until completely mixed.  Should stick together but seem a little on the dry side.

Roll out as thin as possible, less than 1/8 inch.  Cut out crackers.  I used a star cookie cutter but in the next round I will either use smaller cut outs or just cut it with a pizza cutter so I can get smaller crackers, these took a long time.  I spread them on an oiled baking sheet, but next time I would either skip the oil or just use a spray.  Some of them I sprinkled with sea salt, that totally depends on how salty you want them.

After cooking for 15 minutes it seemed like they were taking to long, most recipes said 12-15 minutes & mine were still chewy.  So I used a fork to poke holes in them and switched to convection bake.

They are great plain (like tomato soup in a cracker!) with cream cheese, or with ham (that's my hubby's favorite). 

No comments:

Post a Comment