Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Homemade Sugar Scrub

After having my husband's family here for a month (yes, you heard that right, a month!), my sweet husband decided to treat me to a spa day!  I loved all the pampering but I also got some great advice.  My masseuse said the salon made their own sugar scrub that she was lathering on my feet and even told me how to make it!  After just one trial run I made two batches as gifts for friends!

Step 1: Find a small jar or container.  I used an empty mustard jar and old spice jar.  You could use old jam jars, baby food containers, or something of that sort.  A little goes a long way so I think a smaller container is the best way.  Make sure it's washed out really well and doesn't smell, jalapeno jars probably won't be the best.

Step 2: Fill the container about 2/3rds with regular white granulated sugar.

Step 3: Fill the container the rest of the way with vegetable oil.  You can use canola, olive, sunflower, sesame or jojoba (my masseuse said that's what they use for people on the HCG diet) or a combination.  The oil you choose will effect how it smells, but they're all good for your skin.

Step 4: Stir the oil into the sugar with a stick  or knife.  Make sure to get all the sugar mixed in from the bottom and sides of the jar.  As the oil mixes with the sugar the container will be back to 2/3rds full.  You can add more sugar and oil if you like just keeping it a good consistency, but I find that 2/3rds is a nice level anyhow.

Step 5: Add a few drops of essential oil for aromatherapy if you like.  I love a few drops of lavender and a few drops of orange or lemon for a scent that's both refreshing and relaxing.

When you use it you want to be sure to mix it up each time as the oil will separate some from the sugar.  If you're giving it as a gift you might want to include a mixer.  I used tiny plastic knives that had come with some fudge we bought.  I bet someone else could make the jars look cuter, but I just added a ribbon.  For all that I like making things I'm just not very good at cute.

2 comments:

  1. For all that I like making things I'm just not very good at cute.

    I wouldn't sell yourself short, Sis. Really. If you were redoing it, this is what I'd suggest:

    The jar on the right looks like a jam/jelly jar, and you've seen those homemade setups, right? A small scrap of fabric, usually gingham print, put over the lid and the ribbon holds it in place.

    The one on the left is nice and square and perfect for a label with some simple artwork. Doesn't have to be fancy.

    You could also replace the ribbon on either jar with a small card tag threaded on an elastic band.

    Only other picky thing would be those cheapy cheese knives that look like metal ones, but... that's about it.

    Y'know, whatever. I know you and something simple to do but looks nice fits the bill, right? I was just thinking on this as you know Mom's birthday is coming up... a little voice in the back of my head says "maybe not this, though." Dunno. Will explain later.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our sis JtA says your jars look cute enough. So there, okay? ;-)

    ReplyDelete