Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Losing for Good

If you read my post "My Homebirth Experience" then you know we recently welcomed Chato (baby brother) into the world.  Like a lot of new moms I'm already thinking about losing the baby weight.  With Chiquita I gained about 60 lbs and hung on to 15 to 20 lbs long term.  I wanted it to be different this time so I was really careful and only gained 30 lbs (on top of the left over weight from Chiquita), so I'm optimistic.  The photo above was taken just days after giving birth to Chato.

Please don't misunderstand me, I'm no Michelle Kahn.  I never had cut abs and don't expect or even want some model's body 3 days after giving birth.  I do, however, want a body I feel comfortable in, and the first few years of Chiquita's life when I was 30 lbs over my normal weight I honestly didn't feel like myself. 

I know how to eat healthy and exercise, but motivation (especially in the eating department) is very tricky for me.  I'm very good at accepting myself "as-is" if it means I get a second slice of cake.  I was reading an article in Natural Health about how money is a great motivator for fitness.  While I'm not extremely motivated by money for myself (I used to work for a non-profit for goodness sake), there was something in the idea of monetary accountability that I thought I could use.  Remember all the a-thons we did as kids where your family and neighbors pledged some dollar to support your school or charity if you ran or jumped or whatever?  I'm bringing it back and I'd like your support.

I'm calling this personal challenge "Losing for Good".  My charity of choice is Heifer International.  I've written before about how much I respect their methods and approve of their mission.  The idea is that for me it is more motivating to get funds for this cause then it would be to just lose money to a corporation.  My goal is to lose 30 lbs in 30 weeks (August 18th, 2014). Here's how the challenge would work:

1. Complete this form asking for your pledge and contact.
2. Once I've made my goal I'll contact you to "collect".
3. You will make your pledge directly to Heifer International at heifer.org, sending me an honor email if you would be so kind.

I talked to my hubby and we are pledging $100 to Heifer if I make my goal!  You certainly don't need to wait to donate to this great cause but I only want an honor email when I make my goal.

If you want to start your own personal "Losing for Good" challenge just pick your favorite charity, make a reasonable goal and start asking for pledges.  If you let me know I'll add information about your challenge to this post and check back with you after your challenge ends to do a link-up of results!





No comments:

Post a Comment