Thursday, June 28, 2012

Choo-choo! Cardboard train

Chiquita recently got interested in trains (thanks Diego!) And loves to say "choo-choo" when we see trains - I was impressed that she even recognized a stationary cargo train.

So, I decided it was time to make a train.  With only two boxes taped together she already started saying "choo-choo"!  I just used duct tape to hook together two open boxes and one closed box and then added an empty oatmeal container for the smoke stack.  The cats (we have 3) already loved the train.

We took it in the backyard and spray painted it.  Here I learned some important lessons: 

1. Spray painting is harder than it looks.  My finger got tired and black.  Next time I might invest in an attachment my friend has that gives you a squeeze trigger - cleaner and easier.

2. Plain cardboard would have been much easier to cover than these boxes.  Maybe that's a duh for you, but I didn't even think about it.

I added some silver for wheels and yellow construction paper for a light.  I want to put some white tissue paper in the stack for steam but I have one cat that loves to eat paper & it would last 2 seconds.

For the Kids Friday

No comments:

Post a Comment